WHO IS KAYLA, AND WHY ARE YOU HERE?
Hi there! I’m Kayla McDonald, and if you’re reading this, you probably stumbled here from Facebook. Or Instagram. Or Pinterest. Or any of the other social networks that I spend a little too much time hanging out on.
Either way, welcome! I’m happy you’re here. I’ve spent a lot of time nerding out over social media and growth strategies. So if you’re a business owner, blogger, or really anyone looking increase your online brand exposure, you’ve come to the right spot. I created this blog to share some of my own insights. My goal is to help you streamline the overwhelming process of managing your business’ social media presence.
THE OFFICIAL STORY
Just over 6 years ago, I graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. It sounded fancy until I landed the only job that would hire me right out of school – a call centre for a telecommunications company. If your prepaid cell phone wasn’t working, then I was your girl.
After a year of jumping from one job to the next, hoping each would get me a little closer to a qualified position in social work, I gave up. Well, kind of. My boyfriend, Dylan, who was in the Canadian infantry at the time, had been working his butt off building an online-based business creating software and plug-ins.
The sales letters I wrote converted well and caught the attention of affiliates who were working with Dylan. One thing led to the next, and my reputation as a Copywriter grew.
In addition to using social media to drive traffic to ECommerce stores, I began building social media communities as a testing ground. Including this one: @maddoxkingsberry. Yeah, I know. I exploited my dogs to see how I could build an engaged Instagram following. It worked pretty well though, and now I’ve got a side gig as a Dog Momager. Move over, Kris Jenner.
I’d love to chat with you more about your social media strategy. Be sure to contact me here sometime soon!
ON A PERSONAL NOTE
Social media is all about being social. So here’s a few little facts about me:
- I grew up in the tiny town of Severn Bridge, Ontario, located in the district of Muskoka.
- My first “hustle” was selling homemade bracelets at the end of a friend’s driveway.
- I have 3 big, beautiful and incredibly slobbery dogs; Maddox (a Labrador retriever mix), Vincent (a Mastiff mix) and Kaly (a Cane Corso/Rottweiler).
- I’ve travelled to 10 countries, 25 U.S. states and 9 Canadian provinces.
- The Edge Walk at the CN Tower in Toronto was one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. Second only to whale watching in San Diego, due to an illogical phobia of whales that I’ve harboured since childhood.
- I learned how to code HTML when I was 10 years old. I created a website called “Kayla’s Korner” as well as a number of ‘fan girl’ websites about all my favourite boy bands.
Click the thumbnails below to see the full image.